Privacy Notice for Business-Related Contacts (2018)
Marketwise Strategies Limited is a market research and consultancy company, based in Newcastle upon Tyne, UK.
This Privacy Notice applies to those individuals or organisation who:
- Enquire to Marketwise Strategies about our services
- Enquire to Marketwise Strategies about potential job vacancies or apply for advertised positions
- Commission Marketwise Strategies to conduct research or consultancy services
- Have been contacted by Marketwise Strategies for marketing purposes
- Have engaged with Marketwise Strategies within networking activities, as a supplier or sub-contractor, or as another known business contact.
(We have a separate Privacy Notice for Research Participants which can be found here.)
We collect information and data on contacts:
- Directly from communications we receive from contacts, including via email, telephone, face-to-face engagement, and business cards.
- From publically-available secondary sources.
This information and data is used to:
- Re-contact individuals and organisations in accordance with the nature of their relationship with Marketwise Strategies (e.g. as a client, prospective job applicant, or supplier/sub-contractor)
- Or, to provide information about our services for marketing purposes.
In addition to the information stated in this Privacy Notice for Business-Related Contacts, Marketwise Strategies is bound by the Market Research Society (MRS) Code of Conduct (http://www.mrs.org.uk) and is wholly committed to meeting the requirements of the General Data Protection Regulation on data privacy.
What information do we collect, and how is it used?
We will collect personal information about contacts in order to respond to enquiries, conduct projects on behalf of clients, market our services, and carry out other day-to-day business activities. The legal basis for collecting and processing data is legitimate interests.
We collect information directly from contacts, such as:
- Organisation name
- Job title/role
- Telephone number
- Email address
- Postal address
In order to market our services to relevant organisations, we may also collect contact information that is freely available online. (For example, we may collect contact details of persons in particular job roles within certain types of organisations, so that we can contact them about the services we provide.)
Subject to contacts’ agreement, we may audio-record telephone conversations or face-to-face meetings about potential new projects, so that these can be transcribed: thereby ensuring that we have an accurate record of the discussion for the purpose of developing a project proposal. Some transcription is delivered by a third party (either Transcript Services Ltd or All Typed Up), with whom we have a strict confidentiality agreement.
We do not share personal information with any third parties for any purpose other than those given in this Privacy Notice, unless this has been agreed with contacts in advance for a specific purpose.
How is your information stored, and for how long?
All data is held securely on encrypted computers. Marketwise Strategies’ data is also backed up to an off-site data storage facility that is hosted within the UK. Data is never transferred outside of the EU, and is held in accordance with the Market Research Society (MRS) Code of Conduct, Data Protection Act 1998, and the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) which comes into effect in the UK and all EU Member States on 25 May 2018.
Data is kept for a reasonable and proportionate period of time which varies depending upon the relationship between the contact and Marketwise Strategies. We review the data that we hold on a regular basis, and delete data as soon as it is no longer required for legitimate business purposes.
You have a right to request:
- Access to your personal information that is held by Marketwise Strategies
- That your personal data is rectified (if you believe that the data is incorrect)
- That your personal data is deleted (erased)
- That processing of your personal data is restricted.
You also have the right:
- To object to the processing of your personal data
- To withdraw consent, at any time, to the processing of your data.
If you wish to view, amend, or delete your personal information that we hold, or to object to processing or to withdraw consent, then please email your request to our Data Protection Officer:
Rose Bunker, Business Manager
(0191) 261 44 26
Should you wish to, you may contact the Market Research Society (https://mrs.org.uk) in order to make a complaint or to enquire about your rights. You also have a right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO), which is the supervisory authority within the UK for data protection.
This policy was updated in August 2018 and will be reviewed in April 2019.